Visit us on Linked-in Visit us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook Directions to Our Office Visit us on Yelp
Free Consultation

Labor Day in the United States: The Immigrant Experience

Labor Day in the United States is not celebrated on the same day as International Worker’s Day, which is something that puzzles many immigrants as they adjust to their new lives. The reason for choosing the first Monday of September instead of May 1st as the Labor Day holiday dates back to President Grover Cleveland’s decision in 1887 to avoid commemorating a dark day in the history of the labor movement in the U.S.

Regardless of the difference in dates, Labor Day in the U.S. celebrates the significant contributions of workers to society. It is also a day to remember that people should not have to face barriers to entry when it comes to working in this country. For many immigrants, however, working and doing business in the U.S. is not a cut-and-dry affair.

Work Visas in the United States

There are two main categories of visas for immigrants who wish to work in the U.S. Temporary work visas are issued by the State Department and processed by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Within these temporary work visas we can find the H-1B, which is usually granted to individuals whose occupations are in the science and technology fields. Seasonal employees require the H-2A visa if they work in agriculture or the H-2B for all other occupations.

Temporary work visas are also granted to entertainers and athletes. These visas include the P-1 for one-time performances and events, P-2 for entertainers on exchange programs, and P-3 for cultural performers and artists.

Permanent work authorization is granted by means of a document issued by USCIS. For many foreigners who seek to make the U.S. their new home, the Employment Authorization Document (EAD) is one of the first positive steps towards permanent residence. EADs usually have to be renewed every years until the immigrant is granted adjustment of status. For more information about permanent employment visas in San Diego, click here.

Business Visas

Most foreigners seeking to do business in the U.S. will either be issued a B-1 visa or a WB visa waiver. These are temporary non-immigrant visas issued by the Department of State, and they are often processed together with B-2 applications for the spouse and children of the businessperson. The usual period of stay for these visas is between one and six months.

If you have any questions regarding immigration laws or practices or need help filing for employment, family or other visas, contact the expert attorneys at KS Visa Immigration Law in San Diego. We offer free consultations and can assist you with any of your immigration related needs. Why wait? Call us at 858-874-0711 and talk to one of our expert immigration lawyers now.

May 2024