Visit us on Linked-in Visit us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook Directions to Our Office Visit us on Yelp
Free Consultation

What You Need for a Temporary Work Visa in the U.S.

As a foreigner looking to work in the United States, the first thing you need is good counsel and accurate information from reliable sources. It’s not uncommon for travelers to confuse their status as tourists and business travelers with the right to engage in temporary work. Two working visas, B-1/B-2 and H-1B visas are all grouped in the non-immigrant category, which means that they are all temporarily issued to foreigners who do not initially plan to live permanently in the U.S.

An immigration legal expert will tell you that a B-1 visa may help you enter the United States to discuss a possible work contract with a potential employer. This qualifies as a valid business activity. Nonetheless, you will not be able to accept the position and start working for the company as a B-1 visa holder. Instead, you would have to exit the U.S. and start the application process for a temporary work visa.

Your prospective employer must make the first move and file a visa petition on your behalf. Depending on the type of work you will perform, the application may be for H-class visas such as H-1B for skilled workers, H-2A for agricultural workers for harvest season, H-3 for trainees who wish to become teachers of students with special education needs, P-2 for musicians or actors, and other types of work visas.

The general documents you will need once your prospective employers file a petition include:

  • Passport
  • DS-160 Form
  • Photographs
  • Financial statements

A common and important requirement of all those who apply for temporary work visas is related to showing consular officers that you have every reason to return to your country after your work assignment expires. An immigration law firm would be able to properly coach you and advise you in this regard.

For more information about temporary work visas in the United States, turn to the experts at San Diego KS Visa Law. Our immigration experts will answer all of your questions and help you figure out the best way to legally immigrate to the U.S. Call (858) 874-0711 today for a consultation.

May 2024