Visit us on Linked-in Visit us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook Directions to Our Office Visit us on Yelp
Free Consultation

Guidelines to Filing a K-1 Visa for a Foreign Fiancé(e)

If you are an American citizen with a foreign fiancé(e), you may bring them into the United States to marry and live with you by applying for a K-1 Fiance Visa. A K-1 Visa is a non immigrant visa that will eventually lead to the foreign individual permanent residency in the United States as well as important immigration benefits. To help you understand how to file for and what the process of filing for a K-1 Visa entails, Kazmi and Sakata Immigration Law offers the following K-1 Visa guidelines.

General Information

  • With a K-1 Visa, a citizen’s fiancé(e) is allowed to enter the United States for up to 90 days.
  • During these 90 days, they must get married and file for an Adjustment of Status which enables them to become a permanent resident of the United States.
  • The individual is allowed to reside within the United States beyond the 90 day K-1 Visa outline while their application is being processed.


  • Both parties must be free to marry. This requires that neither party is currently married, and if previously married, the marriage was finalized by divorce, annulment or death.
  • The two parties getting married must have met within the past two years, prior to beginning the petition process. Exceptions can be made if meeting violates long-standing customs or creates extreme hardship.
  • The marriage must be possible legally; in accordance with the laws of the state the marriage is to take place.

Forms and Documents Needed to File

  • I-129 F – Petition for Alien Fiancé(e)
  • G-325 A – Biographic Information – Purpose of the form is to provide information on an alien (fiancé(e) who wants to enter into the United States)

Filing for a K-1 Visa requires attention to detail and the filing of several forms. To ensure the proper steps are taken and all qualifications are met, contact the professional attorneys at Kazmi and Sakata Immigration Law in San Diego at 858-874-0711 today.

May 2024