NAFTA is the North American Free Trade Agreement, which created special economic and trade relationships for the United States, Canada and Mexico. The nonimmigrant NAFTA Professional (TN) visa allows citizens of Canada and Mexico, as NAFTA professionals to work in the United States.
Our Attorneys will implement a convenient format and legal memorandum for immigration and state department adjudicators to process the TN visa.
Professionals of Canada or Mexico may work in the U.S. under the following conditions:
- Applicant is a citizen of Canada or Mexico;
- Profession is on the NAFTA list;
- Position in the U.S. requires a NAFTA professional;
- Mexican or Canadian applicant is to work in a prearranged full-time or part-time job, for a U.S. employer (see documentation required). Self employment is not permitted;
- Professional Canadian or Mexican citizen has the qualifications of the profession.
- Our Attorneys provide memorandums and advice regarding the processing of the visa at a United States Embassy, the Port-of-Entry or for direct filing in the U.S. with the C.I.S.
The maximum period of admission into the U.S. is one year. The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services grants extensions of stay in time amounts of one year. There is no limit on the number of years a TN visa holder can stay in the United States. However, the TN visa status is not for permanent residence.
Are you a member of the NAFTA Professional Job Series List?
- Computer Systems Analyst
- Disaster Relief Insurance Claims Adjuster (Claims Adjuster employed by an insurance company located in the territory of a Party, or an independent claims adjuster)
- Graphic Designer
- Hotel Manager
- Industrial Designer
- Interior Designer
- Land Surveyor
- Landscape Architect
- Lawyer (including Notary in the province of Quebec)
- Management Consultant
- Mathematician (including statistician)
- Range Manager/Range Conservationist
- Research Assistant (working in a post-secondary educational institution)
- Scientific Technician/ Technologist
- Social Worker
- Sylviculturist (including forestry)
- Technical Publications Writer
- Urban Planner (including Geographer)
- Vocational Counselor
- Medical Laboratory Technologist (Canada)/Medical Technologist (Mexico and the United States)
- Occupational Therapist
- Physician (teaching or research only)
- Physiotherapist/Physical Therapist
- Recreational Therapist
- Registered Nurse
- Agricultural (Agronomist)
- Animal Breeder
- Animal Scientist
- Dairy Scientist
- Geophysicist (including Oceanographer in Mexico and the United States)
- Physicist (including Oceanographer in Canada)
- Plant Breeder
- Poultry Scientist
- Soil Scientist