Visit us on Linked-in Visit us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook Directions to Our Office Visit us on Yelp
Free Consultation

US Immigration Options for Canadian Citizens

When it comes to immigrating to the Unites States, Canadians have a few extra options that are not normally available to citizens from other nations. First of all, Canadian citizens do not require a visa when they wish to enter the U.S. for tourism or transit purposes. This visa waiver applies when they enter from Canada or from other countries.

The general family and employment-based options that are typically offered by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) are available to Canadians. These options include the K-1 visa for immigrants who are engaged to marry an American citizen or the K-3 visa for couples who got married overseas. The H1B and H2B visas for foreign workers are also available as well as the O visas for artists and athletes. Additionally, Canadian citizens can also take advantage of three other immigration options: L-1, TN, and B-1.

The L-1 visa can be granted to Canadian employees of companies that conduct multinational business. With the right advice and handling by an experienced San Diego immigration law firm, this special visa can be issued at the border. The L-1 visa requires a fair amount of preparation and paperwork that must be performed by the human resources department in Canada prior to arrival.

The TN (Trade NAFTA) visa is a special work permit that can be requested at the border, and it features a three-year maximum stay in the U.S. Many immigration attorneys recommend the TN visa in lieu of the H-1B due to the ease of processing and the light documentation required. TN visas for Canadian citizens are issued to skilled professionals who will work for an American company.

The B-1 visa is not exclusive to Canadians. However, it is a permit that can be easily granted to people who wish to do business in the U.S. The initial duration of a B-1 stay lasts for six months, and it can be renewed multiple times under certain circumstances. In some cases, Canadians can use a B-1 visa as a starting point for further adjustment of status and permanent residence in the U.S . The B-1 visa can also be issued at the border, but it is not for employment purposes.

To learn more about your options for immigrating to the United States, contact San Diego’s trusted immigration lawyers at KS Visa Law. We offer complimentary immigration consultations and would be happy to answer your questions. Please give us a call at (858) 874-0711.

July 2024