Visit us on Linked-in Visit us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook Directions to Our Office Visit us on Yelp
Free Consultation
Home » Temporary Employment Immigration » F-1 & M-1 Students

F-1 & M-1 Students

Our attorneys can help you apply at your local U.S. Consulate for the visa, including the financial support and establishing your nonimmigrant intent (or proof that you will return at the end of your studies). In addition, our attorneys can help you Change your nonimmigrant Status to Become a Student in the United States or Transfer Schools or bring a Spouse or Child.

The F-1 category includes academic students in colleges, universities, seminaries, conservatories, academic high schools, other academic institutions, and in language training. The M-1 category includes vocational students.

The U.S. C.I.S. permits aliens to come to the U.S. as students to study at registered schools and institutions.When you contact a school that you are interested in attending, you should be told immediately if the school accepts foreign national students. If you are accepted, the school should give you USCIS Form I-20 A-B/ID (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status – for Academic and Language Students).

Please be aware that if you have been admitted as a B-1 (Temporary Visitor for Business) or B-2 (Temporary Visitor for Pleasure) visa holder, you may not begin your program studies until your application for these studies is approved.

Tips for Traveling Students:

Students may leave the United States and be readmitted after absences of five months or less. Upon your return to the United States, you should provide immigration inspectors with:

  • A valid passport.
  • A valid F-1 entry visa stamped in the passport (if necessary).
  • A current USCIS Form I-20 ID (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status – for Academic and Language Students) signed by your appropriate school official (you should have the appropriate school official sign your USCIS Form I-20 each time you wish to temporarily travel outside the United States).
  • A new USCIS Form I-20 A-B/I-20 ID if there have been any substantive changes in your course of study or place of study.
  • Proof of your financial support.
  • When making your travel plans, please remember that you must be a full-time student to keep your F-1 student status. You will be considered to be “in status” if you take the annual summer vacation, as long as you are eligible and intend to register for the next school term.